Thursday, October 16, 2008

Vermont in the Fall

Here's one of the photos I took of Vermont somewhere around the Smuggler's Notch area. I've decided for now to only post one picture - the rest will be gifts, and maybe even a Christmas card.

Directly behind this scene is a road that is a route, but which one it is escapes me now, and across the road is an old metal frame bridge. I took pictures of it too...but when I was crossing back over the road some guy in a truck yelled at me to go home. The whole thing surprised me...and I thought I am home, not the home of my heart, but I am home. This is home...no matter how much I might wish home where somewhere else.

Part of it is this space...but the other part of it is me...I'm never quite wholly comfortable. This is a beautiful place but the sacrifices - these weigh heavy. I looked through all the pictures - some where just okay either the lighting was off or the focus was a little off - but as a whole they aren't bad. The ones I like best are the ones with reflections like the one above, then the ones of flowers I took with the macro lens that "pop" with color and intimate space. I was suprised that the images speak so much about space (for me at least), and maybe a little bit about hope. My hope that this place can become home.

5 comments:

murat11 said...

Gorgeous image and color, jsd.

Lee said...

That is definitely one of your best, JS! Loved the ones you sent my email too. Makes me glad I've got a photo chip in my printer. I wonder if I can print one of them out and put it on my wall. :)

Hugs!
Lee

jsd said...

murat: thank you, thank you.

lee: thank you - if it prints well let me know.

San said...

You've hit on a profound truth, JS. Feeling "at home" has more to do with inner feelings than with outer circumstances. When we first moved to Santa Fe (15 years ago), I would read in the papers about the northern New Mexico natives' resentment of the Anglos moving in from California (we moved from San Francisco) and I would sometimes find the tension palpable when I passed by certain people in the grocery store. Now I never feel this. Part of it is a changing culture. Part of it is a changing San who feels "at home."

jsd said...

san: I keep thinking that my transitions are lessening, but do they ever or do they just become new things...and perhaps I should prefer the transitions, the new things, to comfortable...but, then, yet - i think perhaps what may be best for me is a little bit of both: comfort and transition - better balance.