Thursday, June 24, 2010

Beautiful Weather for Camping

We had a great time in the Adirondacks. All the rain waited until after we left - sweetness! The campground was so nice and quiet since the season hasn't quite started yet. We had the whole tent portion of the campgrounds to ourseleves; So on our first day we had tons of room for dart tag and frisbee. Later on we played putt-putt and "tennis".

The next day we hiked what was supposed to be a anyone can hike this trail trail; however, that's only true if you know which trail that is. Apparently there are two ways up the small mountain we hiked. We went up the "Oh my God I'm not going back down that way" tempered with "Do you think the other trail will be this hard?" and "How could anyone think this is a anyone can hike it trail?" What we discovered on the way down is that indeed there's a gentle but steep trail up, instead we took it down. I told my wife that I don't want to hike anymore mountains no matter how little they are. Up kills me and Sonshine, and down takes out Wife and SweetPea. What I discovered is that I really like meandering trails along rivers or lakes, trails that lead me through forest or glen. But, mountains they just make me cry. Now to be fair to the mountains, I am way out of shape. The hike also made me and wife realize that I need to refocus and take better care of myself.

Later that day we drove to Lake Placid to eat a late lunch. Oh how I'd forgotten how good NY buffalo wings are...to drool for! Then we went swimming to end a very long but enjoyable day.

Our last day we tore down the tent and headed back home, sunned and rested, a little achey but good; I'd say my prayer was answered.

2 comments:

murat11 said...

Awesome. Sounds wonderful. I love hiking through mountains when I start at the top and keep hiking across the top.

jsd said...

murat: :) me too...there apparently was a trail that would take you along the rock ledge, but if it's anything like I think it might have been I'm glad we didn't see that path.